Sunday, December 22, 2013

Beef Stroganoff

This recipe is only for me.

That's because we never grew up with Beef Stroganoff.  I don't think my dad liked it, and since he was a picky eater, this dish, among many others, was not among our circulating dinner menu.

When I got older and started experimenting with my own recipes, I decided to try my hand at stroganoff. 

After a few less-than-stellar attempts, I finally found a recipe that really spoke to me and my tastes. 

I love the egg noodles in this dish, but you could easily use a pasta like penne or bow-ties for this dish as well.  You'll want something that carries a cream sauce well, and is thick enough that it doesn't get outplayed by the beef, mushrooms and sour cream sauce.

If you're like me, or you're somewhat of a novice with homemade pasta sauces, this will be unlike any you've made before.  It's not overly garlicked out like most Italian sauces, and there are zero tomatoes.  But, the taste is nonetheless superb and it's a total departure from what you might be used to.  It's a great way to substitute in an unusual pasta dish that's also easy and fast for a weeknight.

I mean, what's not to like about that?





Beef Stroganoff

1 lb. egg noodles
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 white onion, finely diced
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 lb. steak meat, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup beef stock
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup sour cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley, for garnish



Boil water and add egg noodles.  Cook until soft, then drain.  Set aside.

In olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until fragrant and translucent, about five minutes.

Add garlic and cook an additional minute. 

Add meat and mushrooms.  Cook until meat is completely browned.

Mix cornstarch and beef stock in a cup and stir until cornstarch has dissolved completely.  Add to the meat mixture.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.  Stir in white wine and cook and additional 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and seasoning until the sauce is creamy and homogenous.

 Pour sauce over egg noodles.

Garnish with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment