Friday, March 2, 2012

Cheddar Ale Macaroni & Cheese

I need a beer.

Or six.  But that's binge drinking, and I don't think it's ethically acceptable to promote or condone that behavior in public.  In secret, however, I want beer.

I'm not having a bad day, or even a hectic day, but I am having the kind of day where you just go 'ehhhh' to everything that shows up in front of you.

There's nothing good on TV.

There's nothing good to eat in the fridge (translation: nothing immediate).

The house is too cold.

The weather's too crappy.

My hair looks awful.

My skin looks awful.

My pants are too tight.

I don't want to get up.

I need a beer.

Are you familiar with these days?  These are the moments when I'm thankful to be alive, even if I'm only  expending enough energy to convert oxygen.  Oh, and maybe make some beer mac&cheese.

If you've never thrown a can of beer into your mac and cheese, you're not living.  Either that, or you're not as into beer cookery as me, but that's ok.  I'm going to convert you.

The first time I did this, I cooked the mac and cheese in individual serving bowls.  You can do that too, but this time, I just made one big pan.  And, I usually serve this macaroni and cheese piping hot with an ice cold beer on this side.  Why?  Because usually I'm serving myself.

If you like cheese and beer together, make this nowww!



Cheddar Ale Macaroni & Cheese
(loosely adapted from Cooking with Clint)


2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
2 tbsp butter
1/2 medium white onion, minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
8 oz. your choice of ale
2 3/4 cup milk
12 oz. grated white cheddar
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 panko bread crumbs
Salt & Pepper to taste

Boil pasta.  Set aside.

Preheat oven 350F.

Saute onions in 1 tbsp butter in large pan over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.  Add 1 tbsp butter and flour.  Stir to create a roux.

Add beer and milk and allow the roux-beer mixture to cook down and thicken.   Add cheese, worcestershire, mustard and paprika.  Season to taste.  Continue cooking and stirring until all the cheese has melted.

Pour mixture over strained pasta.  Mix together and pour into a greased square pan.

In a separate bowl, combine melted butter and bread crumbs.  Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the macaroni and cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes and let cool some before serving.



Listening to:   k.d. Lang - Hallelujah

No comments:

Post a Comment