Sunday, March 4, 2012

Nutella Scones

This is a recipe of desperation.

Okay, that's a bit dramatic.  But still, this recipe just saved my diet.  No joke.

See, I've got this itty bitty major problem with Nutella.  I'm addicted to it.  And I, being the constant snacking queen that I am, cannot keep my spoon out of the jar.  Yep, I'm one of those people.

So, I decided to make some treats with Nutella that would prevent me from eating four spoonfuls in front of the computer.  Not that that has happened or anything....

These scones were perfect because I could grab one quick for breakfast and get my Nutella fix first thing in the morning.  Plus, this was my first attempt at making scones, but they came out great.  The only change I would make is to cut the wedges smaller.  This is a personal preference though, because I do not typically eat a large portion of food early in the morning.  However, the scones in this recipe were cut to form a standard-sized scone, so you can make that judgment for yourself.



Nutella Scones
(adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen)

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
3/4 cup Nutella

Preheat oven 375F.

Combine dry ingredients in a stand mixer.  Add small pieces of cold butter and pulse to combine.

In another bowl, combine egg, milk and hazelnuts.  Slowly add the flour and gently mix.  Do not overwork the mixture!

Once the mixture is even, flatten the dough onto a large table.  Apply 1/2 cup of Nutella to the surface of the dough.  Roll the dough to create a long cylinder.  Carefully roll the cylinder until it flattens out again. The scone dough should measure between 1 1/2 - 2 inches high.

Cut the dough into wedges.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Use the remaining 1/4 cup of Nutella to drizzle over the top of each scone.



Listening to:   Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment