Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes

I noticed that there's a lot of cauliflower going on here.

I feel like I've done way more to these little florets than I ever thought possible before starting this online adventure.  I mean, it's a huge staple of our diet here, but 90% of the time, it's a quick bit with some dip.

I guess it's one of the neat things about doing something like this.  You never really know what you're going to learn to do in the kitchen from day to day.  What were once space wasting foods left to rot miserably before a final trip to the trash can now seem to have endless opportunities.

Take this cauliflower, for example.  I set off to make mashed cauliflower.  It's supposed to look like mashed potatoes, right?  Well, it might have looked like mashed potatoes, but it sure didn't taste like mashed potatoes.  The recipe I used was very bland and definitely not worth sharing.

But, I couldn't give up.  So, I flopped it on to a baking sheet, just to see what would happen.  Lo and behold, they came out delicious.  The texture of crispy and fluffy together was was better than the creamy but heavy mashed version.

So, you see, there are endless opportunities.

When life hands you sloppy cauliflower, get baked.



Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes

1 head cauliflower
1/2 medium onion, roughly diced
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste


Preheat oven 350F.

Boil and drain the cauliflower florets.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree into a semi-smooth mixture.  Use an ice cream scoop to lay the mixture onto a baking sheet.  Use a fork and flatten the mixture.

Bake for 20 - 22 minutes.



Listening to:  Katy Perry - The One That Got Away

No comments:

Post a Comment