Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf

It's so hot out.

I know.  I complain about this all the time.  But, I'm really not someone who deals well with heat.  If I had it my way, every single day would be partly sunny and 60 degrees.  Perfect 'shorts and t-shirt' weather and requiring only the recommended dosage of sunscreen per day compared to the bottle-a-day habit I'm currently needing.  Going outside, for my pale complexion at least, means reapplying every couple hours or after you've sweat through a current layer.  That, and making friends with every shady spot I can find outside.

Ironically, I don't get as bent out of shape about cooking in summertime as I used to.  It used to feel like such a chore.  Now, I feel like writing recipes is the perfect excuse to stay in the air conditioning.  

For instance, this meatloaf.

As a New Yorker, I shouldn't love philly cheesesteaks so much, but I do.  I love them in all sorts of different preparations, especially in this bread-less version (if you don't count the bread crumbs, anyway).

Plus, just as you might have a meat loaf sandwich for leftovers, this could be thrown on a crusty bun the next day for an almost authentic philly cheesesteak!

I suggest following this down with an icy beverage because it's hot out and this kind of hot-weather cooking deserves a cold drink!










Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf

1 white onion, diced
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
2 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup ketchup


Preheat oven 350F.

In a sauté pan, cook onions, mushrooms and peppers in olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic and cook an additional minute.  Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, combine vegetables, ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, worchestershire, cheese and seasoning. 

Place the meat mixture into a greased loaf pan. 

Bake for 30 minutes.

Pour ketchup over the top of the meatloaf mixture and return to the oven for 15 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment