Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Guasacaca

Expanding my horizons.

I recently went to Philadelphia, PA.  While I was there, I went out to a restaurant with guasacaca on the menu.  I read the brief description and was intrigued.  I made a note to look it up when I got home so I could attempt to make it.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of avocados, I do like guacamole so I wanted to try this.

According to my research, this sauce is a Venezuelan condiment used as often there as we might use ketchup in the USA.  In fact, a thinned version of this recipe can often be found in the condiment squeeze bottles of vendor carts in Venezuela.  It's smooth and creamy with what I think is a stronger flavor than guacamole.  I'm really enjoying this sauce on meat like steak and chicken.

Venezuela has never been a place I've been interesting in traveling, but now I'm starting to rethink my vacation plans.  I would love to see what else Venezuelans use this delicious sauce on!












Guasacaca (Guacamole Salsa)

2 Hass avocados
1/2 cup diced green onion
1 green pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup cilantro
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste


Combine everything in a food processor and pulse until smooth.  Season to taste.

This sauce will be thick.  You can use water or oil to thin the sauce to your desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment