Friday, July 8, 2016

Eggplant Parmesan Stuffed Eggplant

I was a vegan once.  For, maybe, 15 minutes.

I told my family I was going vegan one random afternoon, and I think that by dinnertime, I had given up.

I was only about 16 at the time, and I didn't really have a serious grasp on why I made most of my daily decisions.  I don't think it was a moral decision as much as I just wanted to will myself to eat more vegetables.

Nowadays, I eat meat at pretty much every meal.  It's one of my favorite food groups and my favorite form of protein.  But, I'm trying to eat better and experiment with more vegetables, including adding some vegetarian meals to my rotation.

I think that making veggie boats is creative and incredible beautiful when you're trying to be thoughtful of the final presentation.  It looks interesting while still maintaining  all the delicious flavor of a traditional meal.  This eggplant parmesan is definitely flavored the way you would expect, but it's kicked up a notch by the impressive presentation.

I made this two ways because I wanted to try it full-vegetarian, but I know that people in my family would prefer a meaty version, so I did one eggplant boat with marinara sauce, and one boat with a meat-laden bolognese.  You could do either depending on your preference.

If you want to create a stunning dinner display for your family, this is a super interesting way to serve a delicious meal of eggplant parmesan!

















Eggplant Parmesan Stuffed Eggplant

1 medium-sized eggplant, halved
1 lb. spaghetti
2 cups marinara sauce (or Bolognese)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese

 
Preheat oven 450F.
 
Scoop out the middle of the eggplant halves, leaving about 1/2" border to keep the eggplant skin firm.
 
Drizzle olive oil over the inside of the eggplant.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place face down on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes. 
 
In a pot, cook spaghetti according to package instructions and drain. 
 
Cut the "meat" of the eggplant into small pieces.  Saute eggplant in olive oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until soft.  Add the marinara or bolognese and cook for 10-15 minutes.
 
Combine sauce with spaghetti and pour noodles into cooked eggplant shells.  Top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
 
Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment