Friday, July 15, 2016

Biftekia

Everybody knows that summer is grilling season.

In my house, I am not the griller.  I'm the one shaping the burger patties, marinating the chicken, and assembling all of the sides.  I have a small arsenal of seasonings I like to use for burgers and other grilled meats, but this summer, I'm trying to expand that.  

My curiosity was peaked when we recently took a weekend trip to Atlantic City.  I'm a huge Hard Rock Cafe fan, and I love collecting hurricane glasses for the bar in our entertainment room at home.  While we were there, the company was promoting a burger menu inspired by different cultural cuisines.  It really spoke to me as someone who loves grilling, but wants to spice up their menu with some different flavors from around the world. 

So, naturally, I started doing some research.

My first experiment is this Greek-inspired patty called Biftekia.  To me, it seems very reminiscent of a traditional meatloaf recipe, formed into individual patties.  I cooked these "plain" first, to make them as traditional as possible.  Then, I tried them with a slice of feta warmed over the top, similar to the way you would melt a slice of american cheese over a typical hamburger patty.  The feta added a lot of flavor and made this feel way more "Greek".  These would probably be really good with the feta stuffed inside the patty, too!

I'm excited to spend the rest of the summer season trying more variations on hamburger patties that add a cool cultural twist to my summer grilling menu!










Biftekia

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
2 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. dried oregano
Slices of feta, if desired (optional)


Saute onions in olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add garlic and cook an additional minute.  Remove from heat.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. 

Form 4-6 equal-sized patties from the meat mixture.

Cook over a grill until well-done.  These should not be pink in the center.

Top with a slice of feta while grilling to let it melt if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment