Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Southwestern Crustless Quiche

My new obsession.

I need healthy breakfasts in my life.  As much as I love breakfast, I rarely have time to make a large, complex meal in the morning.  I wish I could say that I spend my early hours constructing a smoothie full of diverse fruits and vegetables.  Or, that I could plan and execute several courses of brunch material.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

On busy days, I need to have something on hand to eat that is healthy, but speedy. 

This is why I've developed a brand new obsession with quiche.

And on a side note, does anybody else think the term, quiche, sounds super pretentious?  Like, I think it's delicious, but I almost kind of feel like a snob admitting that I make it and eat it.

I might be the only one who feels like that, but I'm weird like that sometimes.

Anyway, in my house, I eat A LOT of eggs.  Like, a dozen a week, or more.  This quiche recipe lets me use less eggs for a longer stretch of time.  Instead of going through 12 eggs every six days, I go through 6 eggs every eight days.  Plus it's already got some of my favorite vegetables, so it's good for me.  And, it's got cheese because, well, duhh... my life revolves around cheese.

This quiche is delicious and is reminiscent of my favorite way to make omelets - smothered in salsa.  It's a little on the spicy side, but it's a great way to energize myself for the day!








Southwestern Crustless Quiche

1 red onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
6 eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste


In a large pan, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.  Add bell pepper and cook about 10 minutes to soften

Add cheese and stir to melt completely.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Preheat oven 350F.

In a separate bowl, whisk eggs.  Add the pepper onion mixture to the eggs and stir in the tomatoes with chilies.  Season to taste.

Pour into a greased 9" pie pan.

Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment