Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Grasshopper Fudge Bars

Chocolate and mint.

We have a love/hate relationship. 

I hate that I love it.

See, I never used to find the combination of chocolate and mint palatable.  I loved chocolate with nearly everything else, but I could easily skip over mint choco-chip ice cream, Thin Mints, or grasshoppers.

In recent years, that has unfortunately changed.  I say it with disdain because we all are painfully aware of how little willpower I have to begin with, so every time I find out I like another candy or cookie, I lose a little more hope that I'll ever be one of those naturally-healthy-eating kind of people.

I just like junk too much.

When I saw this recipe by Averie Cooks, I decided to give it a try.  Not so much so I could post it, but just to see how deep my new-found interest in chocolate and mint went.  Turns out, that was a really bad idea.  As far as choco-minty things go, this has jumped up to the top of my little list.

What makes this even more delectable is the fact that it's seriously easy to assemble and it's a no-bake confection.  There aren't a ton of ingredients and the hardest thing to find is the mint extract.  Once you've got that, you're golden.

Or green. 

Minty green.





Grasshopper Fudge Bars
(Adapted from Averie Cooks)

36 mint cookies (Thin Mints)
1/2 stick melted butter
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 tsp mint extract
Green food coloring


Crush mint cookies into fine powder.  Add melted butter and combine well. 

Press mint cookie mixture into the bottom of 8x8 pan.  Chill for 30 minutes.

In a bowl, combine white chocolate, mint extract, green food coloring to preference and 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk.  Microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring between until chips are completely melted.  Spread green fudge mixture over the mint cookie layer.  Chill for 30 minutes.

In another bowl, add chocolate chips and other 1/2 of the sweetened condensed milk.  Microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring between until chips are completely melted.  Pour and spread over green fudge layer.  Chill for 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment