Sunday, December 22, 2013

Steak Gorgonzola Pasta

It's an ice stormy kind of day.

If you don't know what that means, you don't live in upstate New York.

Right now, there are tree branches scattered across my lawn and one (thankfully small) on my roof.  My car is encased in solid ice and the roads look like they've been converted into outdoor skating rinks. 

It's pretty exciting.

This kind of thing happens around here every few years, but this year, it's actually led to an state of emergency in my area.  That would be cool and all if I didn't work in a profession where I still have to go to work amidst an environmental disaster.  So, I'll be making the dangerous trek into work shortly, and I'm so sarcastically excited about it.

I made this pasta because of the fact that I'm one of the only streets in my town that still has power, and I had all of the ingredients handy.  Thank heavens for a freezer of meat and some boxes of store-bought pasta.

Usually, I don't have gorgonzola at the ready, but I'd been trying some recipes with pears and gorgonzola cheese lately, and I had enough left to try this recipe.  I really like the pairing of red meat and gorgonzola as I've put in on my hamburgers a number of times.  Mixed into this creamy pasta sauce, this cheese is tangy and sharp enough to complement the robust flavor of the steak without being too overpowering.  And pasta, especially the shorter, fatter pastas (ex. rotinis and pennes) or egg noodles, like I used, absorb and collect the sauce, serving as the perfect bed for this dish.

This dish is warm and savory, and perfect for a cozy day snuggled inside the igloo that Mother Nature just made for you.





Steak Gorgonzola Pasta

1 lb. egg noodles
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 white onion, finely diced
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 lb. steak meat, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup beef stock
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup sour cream
6 oz. gorgonzola cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley, for garnish



Boil water and add egg noodles.  Cook until soft, then drain.  Set aside.

In olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook until fragrant and translucent, about five minutes.

Add garlic and cook an additional minute. 

Add meat and mushrooms.  Cook until meat is completely browned.

Mix cornstarch and beef stock in a cup and stir until cornstarch has dissolved completely.  Add to the meat mixture.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.  Stir in white wine, sour cream, gorgonzola and seasoning.  Stir until the sauce is smooth and homogenous.

Pour sauce over egg noodles.

Garnish with parsley.



No comments:

Post a Comment