Saturday, July 13, 2013

Vanilla & Rosemary Roasted Carrots


This is me... trying to eat more veggies.

I'm not good at it.  I have no will power.  Nor, self-control.  My friends know this about me.  They love me anyway.

I desperately try to come up with ways to trick myself into eating vegetables.  But, if I can be completely honest, it rarely happens.  No matter how hard I try, or how good I roast a bunch of greens, I can't help but hear that voice in the back of my head shouting that it's not carb-y enough to satisfy my unrelenting taste buds.

I do the best with what I can.  I can't even lie to you and say that these roasted carrots are better than cheesecake or garlic bread because they just simply aren't.  Not in my head, anyway.

But, they are mildly sweet.  And the vanilla and rosemary add a very strange, uniquely cohesive blend that makes you a little less aware that it's still just carrots under there.

Plus, they make your house smell goooorgeous while they roast.

The end result is a side dish of straight vegetables that packs both a sweet and savory punch that leaves your guests wondering just how you made that unique flavor blend.

I suggest putting them on a plate with meat and carbs...

... because I still have no self-control.







Vanilla & Rosemary Roasted Carrots

1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and halved
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried rosemary, minced
1 tsp vanilla extract
Salt & Pepper to taste



Preheat oven 350F.

Combine olive oil, vanilla, salt and pepper in a small bowl.

Place carrots on baking sheet and drizzle oil mixture over the top.  Sprinkle rosemary over the oil.

Roast for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment