Sunday, September 8, 2013

Galaktoboureko

I'm back.
 
After a good six weeks away from the computer, I'm back creating some new and exciting recipes among other things I've been working on.
 
So... you may be asking what caused my abrupt hiatus.
 
Let me explain.
 
First and foremost, I went through a pretty disasterous break up earlier this year.  I tried as hard as I could to continue posting through the unfolding drama, but realized that I needed to take some "me"-time to figure out what I really wanted to accomplish as a newly single woman.  Truth be told, after a few months, I've decided that I really do enjoy cooking for one because I'm the only one who judges my food and I happen to think everything I make is the best thing ever.
 
I also made the decision to go back to school and start working on my Master's degree.  When I first started this blog, I was in nursing school getting my BSN in nursing at Binghamton University in the southern tier of New York.  I've decided to further my education by getting my Nurse Practitioner degree. 
 
Thirdly, like I said, I've been doing some soul-searching trying to figure out who I am outside of an ex-girlfriend and a perpetual college student.  I've been trying to determine what kinds of things I like and what hobbies I could try.  One of the newest things is exercise.  I've been working on devising a new work-out plan to help me meet my weight loss goals and get stronger.  So far, since my break-up, I've lost about twenty pounds, and I'm looking to lose about twenty more.  If you guys have any good tips, I look forward to hearing them.  I would love to turn this blog into an open forum where we can discuss anything and everything.
 
That brings me to my next point.  In the coming weeks, I will be redesigning this site with the intent to expand my posts to more than just cooking.  In a quest for self-discovery, I want to show everyone all of the new things I've learned and how far I've come in my search for total self-reliance and independence.
 
In one of the most brutally honest blog posts I've ever written, I hope that you will join my on my new path and enjoy reading all of the new content I hope to offer soon.
 
Until then, I leave you with another recipe that I tried out a couple weeks ago with tremendous success.  You know how I love Greek food, and this dessert is definitely an example of why.  So rich and creamy, this is not your typical dessert, and it's definitely not going to help me shave off those last few pounds, but it's absolutely worth it.
 



 
Galaktoboureko
3 eggs
2/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
5 cups skim milk
1 pkg. storebought phyllo dough
1 cup caramel, warmed

 


 
Preheat oven 350F.

Mix eggs, sugar and flour in a large pot over medium heat.  Add milk and stir to allow the mixture to thicken into a custard-like consistency.

In a greased 8x8 pan, place 1/2 the package of phyllo dough on the bottom.  Pour the milk mixture over the top.  Place the other 1/2 of phyllo dough over the top.

Score the top layers of phyllo dough to allow air to escape during cooking.

Bake 40-45 minutes.
Drizzle caramel over the top, allowing it to seep into the scoremarks on the top of the crust.

Chill before serving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment