Thursday, June 16, 2016

Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche

My new obsession.

I need healthy breakfasts in my life.  As much as I love breakfast, I rarely have time to make a large, complex meal in the morning.  I wish I could say that I spend my early hours constructing a smoothie full of diverse fruits and vegetables.  Or, that I could plan and execute several courses of brunch material.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

On busy days, I need to have something on hand to eat that is healthy, but speedy.

This is why I've developed a brand new obsession with quiche.

And on a side note, does anybody else think the term, quiche, sounds super pretentious?  Like, I think it's delicious, but I almost kind of feel like a snob admitting that I make it and eat it.

I might be the only one who feels like that, but I'm weird like that sometimes.

Anyway, in my house, I eat A LOT of eggs.  Like, a dozen a week, or more.  This quiche recipe lets me use less eggs for a longer stretch of time.  Instead of going through 12 eggs every six days, I go through 6 eggs every eight days.  Plus it's already got some of my favorite vegetables, so it's good for me.  And, it's got cheese because, well, duhh... my life revolves around cheese.

This is my favorite quiche recipe so far, made with caramelized onions (YUM!) and spinach (not as yum) and sharp cheddar cheese (back to full YUM!).

It's a great way to start my day with veggies and protein, and I can make it ahead of time so it can be reheated for a quick breakfast on-the-go!










Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche

1 white onion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 10oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste


In a large pan, saute onions in olive oil over medium-low heat until onions begin to caramelize, about 15 minutes.  Add spinach and cook about 10 minutes, letting the moisture evaporate.

Add cheese and stir to melt completely.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Preheat oven 350F.

In a separate bowl, whisk eggs.  Add the spinach onion mixture to the eggs.

Pour into a greased 9" pie pan.

Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment