Thursday, June 16, 2016

Beef Stuffed Peppers with Cauliflower Rice

Let's have a moment of honesty.

How many of you (us) have tried "diet" food?  I'm talking meal-replacement shakes and bars, frozen meals, and even just those brands that try to sub out your favorite flavors for a super food stand-in?  Uhh, sorry, but there's no way you're convincing me that those cacao nibs are better than milk chocolate chips, so stop trying to put them in "sweets".  Not only is the taste different (or lacking), but it's more expensive because it's supposedly better for me.

I'm going to probably hate myself for admitting this, but if I had to guess, I would estimate that I've spent over $2,000 in the last 10 years on food that was imitating the food I really wanted.  

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

That's like, six designer handbags.  That's a decent down-payment on a new car.  That's half of my tuition for next semester...

It's also an embarrassing chunk of change to admit to.  And, the worst part is, that's not even counting the non-edible investments I've made to lose weight.  I'm talking the punching bag I bought and never used, the physio-balls, the free weights, the stationary bike, the gym memberships, the subscriptions, the prescriptions and all that other nonsense.  

I don't even want to guess how much money I've wasted.

Nowadays, I try to be a little wiser.  I know myself enough to know that those things won't work, mostly because they consistently haven't worked.  My next focus has been on taking foods that are inexpensive, easy to find and worth eating anyway, and use them in meals to replace the bad stuff.

The biggest problem I've had is convincing my brain.  When I'm missing the feel of chewy bread or silky smooth pasta or creamy potatoes, a salad is generally not going to trick me into thinking I'm satisfied.  That's one reason I truly believe that people (like me) can be addicted to carbohydrates.  

If I want to succeed, I have to find things that legitimately fool me into fullness. 

This is one of the only things I've found so far that has worked for me, so naturally, I have to share it with you!

Cauliflower rice is, like, my new thing.

I'm not even a habitual rice eater, as I much prefer pasta, but this is definitely working.  I've been experimenting with cauliflower as mashed potatoes, breadsticks and even pizza crust, but the rice version has been by far the most believable thus far.

I love stuffed peppers so this version is perfect for me because it's got a ton of flavor without all the rice!












Beef Stuffed Peppers with Cauliflower Rice

2 cups uncooked cauliflower rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, sliced
1 tbsp garlic
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 cup marinara sauce
2 red bell peppers
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs.

Preheat oven 350F.

In a skillet over medium heat, saute onions in olive oil until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic and cook an additional minute.  Add beef and cook until  no longer pink.  Drain the grease.

Cut red peppers in half.  Remove seeds and ribs.  Combine cauliflower rice, sauce, beef mixture and mozzarella, then divide into quarters and scoop into bell peppers.  

Top each with a quarter of the parmesan and panko.

Place peppers cut side up on a baking sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment