Monday, February 17, 2014

Oktoberfest Pizza

With the Winter Olympics underway, I've been thinking a lot about how to incorporate this historical event into my recipes.  Obviously, the top answer is by exploring all of the culinary creations other countries have to offer. 

I've been doing quite a bit of research in the last few weeks to prepare, looking into mostly Asian, Mediterranean and Mexican recipes as these are typically the flavors I like most.  However, I didn't want to miss out on anything, so I also looked into recipes that used ingredients I'd either never used or never heard of.

What better way to enhance my palate than during the Olympics, right?

This is another one of those fusion-style recipes where I take traditional flavors from one region and combine it with another country's culinary staple.  In this case, Germany is topping my Italian pizza crust to bring you a totally original way of eating up Oktoberfest.

I'm not super familiar with most types of German-style sausages because, as you're painfully aware, I shy away from pork-filled anything.  But, in trying to liven up my palate a bit, I purchased some beef bratwursts at the grocery store specifically for this recipe.  To my surprise, I actually found that I really liked the flavor of brats.  I just never gave them a chance before now.

Regardless, this pizza has a distinct flavor that will make you think you stepped straight into an Oktoberfest celebration.  The combination of bratwursts and sauerkraut is traditional German-style chow and anyone who's ever been to Germany can tell you that the smell coming out of your oven is pure, authentic and delicious wonderfulness.

New word.  I just made it up. 

If you like German food, you will love throwing it on a pizza crust and smothering it with cheese!







Oktoberfest Pizza

1 Pizza dough
1/4 cup German mustard
1/4 cup melted butter
1 lb. bratwursts
1/2 cup white onion, sliced
1/2 cup German beer
1 cup sauerkraut (rinsed and well drained)
1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese


Prepare pizza dough as directed.

Preheat oven 425F.

Combine mustard and butter.  Set aside.

In a skillet, cook bratwursts and onions in beer over medium heat for 10-12 minutes.  Keep a lid on the skillet to hold in the beer flavor while cooking.  Cut the bratwursts into 1/4" slices.

Spread out pizza dough on a cooking stone or cookie sheet.  Spread mustard butter over the crust.  Top with sauerkraut.  Mix cheeses together and sprinkles over the top.  Finish with slices of bratwurst and onions.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment