Saturday, April 11, 2015

Queso Cheese

So... I didn't really know what to call this recipe.

I didn't want to name it after its inspiration, the yellow, processed sort-of-cheese-but-probably-not-really-cheese brick that starts with a "V" and makes the best queso dip in the whole world in my eyes.

For that last reason, I called it queso cheese, because that's exactly what I intend to use it for.  That and grilled cheese sandwiches because... omg.  So good.

And melted over broccoli?  Even people who don't like broccoli can attest that this cheese over vegetables makes you forget that you're eating vegetables.

I made this because, as I said before, I'm not entirely convinced that what I'm buying in the store is 100% best for me.  I don't subscribe to the idea that if you can't spell it or pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it.  I work in healthcare and have a pretty solid understanding of science and chemistry, and I know that some of those "toxic chemicals" everyone is freaking out about right now are not as "toxic" as people say they are.  If you couldn't tell, I have developed a pet peeve about some of these "detox diets" and "100% organic" lifestyle blogs I've been reading lately.  Most of what I've read is complete garbage with health myths that even I, the untrained cook and chemist, have been able to debunk.  I could go on a long rant about this, but I'd rather just eat this cheese.

My healthy eating goals consist only of trying to eat as much natural food as I can.  I know organic chemicals are going to exist in my food, regardless of whether or not it's organic, but I do have the ability to make things from scratch that contain ingredients I choose.  That makes me feel a little better.

Instead of buying a brick of this famous cheese that I know has a lot of processing agents, preservatives and artificial color in it, I can make my own with four ingredients.  That sounds pretty nifty if I do say so myself!









Queso Cheese
(adapted from Michael Symon, The Chew, ABC)

1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup milk powder
16 oz. mild cheddar cheese, shredded


Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap.  Extend the plastic up the sides as you'll want enough to cover the top of the cheese mixture.

Combine boiling water, gelatin and milk powder in a food processor and puree until smooth.

Add the shredded cheese and continue to puree until a smooth, homogenous mixture forms.

Pour into loaf pan and cover the top with the plastic wrap.

Refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment