Friday, April 24, 2015

Funeral Potatoes

Don't let the name fool you.  This is a happy post.

And a happy recipe that will make your tummy extra happy.

I'm not sure why these are called funeral potatoes.  I can only assume that it has something to do with the fact that the potatoes and cheese and sour cream and crispy crunchy topping and all of the other flavorful ingredients that I packed into this baking dish can lift your spirits even when you're inconsolably sad.  It's that good.

And, because I cannot tell a lie, I have to tell you, my internet friends, that I made this because I had absolutely NOTHING in my house except the ingredients to this dish.  I have been an absolute bum lately.  I have barely cleaned my house --- my mother actually did my dishes during her visit today --- and grocery shopping?  I barely remember how to accomplish that task.

Today should have been my big day of getting things done, but..

I severely underestimated the exhaustion of my mind and body after working three night shifts in a row.  I fell asleep sometime around 10:00 this morning and woke up at four in the afternoon.  By that point, I was thinking dinner, but craving breakfast because my circadian rhythm is completely busted.  It didn't matter anyway because I had no food to speak of.  No milk, no juice, no thawed meat, not even leftovers for reheating.  So.... I scoured through my cabinets and refrigerator, finding a few ingredients I might be able to throw together.  Initially I thought twice-baked potatoes given the sour cream and cheese I had handy, but it didn't sound just right.  I scoured through internet recipes until I found this -  a potato casserole that contained everything I had handy!

Turns out... this recipe is phenomenal!  I definitely think if you wanted to save time, you could used frozen hash browns, but I didn't have any so I used whole potatoes that I shredded up.    Crunchy and creamy, cheesy and hearty,  this is a great way to utilize potatoes and change up the carb game in your dinner rotation.

Plus, if you're ever unsure about what to make for a funeral... see below.











Funeral Potatoes

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, finely diced
2 tbsp garlic
5-6 large potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 cup sour cream
1 10.5oz. can Cream of Chicken soup
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper
2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 stick melted butter


Saute onion in olive oil in a pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.

Add garlic to onions and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.

Preheat oven 350F.

Transfer onions and garlic to a large bowl.  Add in the shredded potatoes, soup, sour cream and cheddar cheese.  Season as desired.

Pour into a greased 9x13 baking sheet and spread out with a spatula.

In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs and butter.  Sprinkle the mixture thickly over the top of the casserole.

Bake for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment