Monday, September 16, 2013

Tequila, Lime & Jalapeno Barbeque Sauce

I've been gone for awhile.

At least, gone in the cyber-sharing sense.

Despite going on a bit of a hiatus from posting this summer, it definitely did not keep me from cooking. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is break out the barbeque.  I'm a very picky eater, and that is definitely evident when it comes to barbeque sauce.  I can honestly say I only tried barbeque a couple years ago.  Since then, I've only found a small number of sauces I'm willing to buy at the grocery store.  I even went as far as to test and publish my own barbeque sauce here last summer because I tested a recipe that I absolutely love.

Now, I'm trying out some variations using my tested and true Kansas City barbeque sauce.

The first is a tequila, lime and jalapeno version.  The flavors are not overpowering, but they 
give a spicy citrus kick to a good barbeque sauce.  

I used this on chicken and served it with my cilantro lime rice.  I found that these flavors together were so complementary.  I loved the combination and think that this spicy summer dish will work in the winter months too!

Stay tuned for more!





Tequila, Lime & Jalapeno Barbeque Sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup minced white onion
1/2 cup minced red pepper
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/2 cup minced jalapeno
1 28oz. can tomato sauce
2/3 cup tequila

2 cups ketchup
1 cup packed brown sugar (I used dark)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dijon mustard
2 tbsp cayenne powder
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp lime extract

Salt & Pepper to taste



In a large pan, saute the onions, pepper, garlic and jalapeno in olive oil on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.

Transfer to a slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients.  Cook for 4-6 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.

Let cool.  Puree if desired for smoother consistency.  Pour into jars.




No comments:

Post a Comment