Monday, May 18, 2015

Mango Habanero Sauce

Spicy.

Spicy never used to be my thing.  I liked all things plain and boring.  I never even tried buffalo chicken until my senior year of college.

True story.

So, now that I have tried and LOVED most all things hot and spicy, I am obsessing over this mango habanero sauce.  I love how it's super spicy with a healthy dose of sweetness from the mangoes.  It's an unusual combination, but it totally works!  Plus, for me, I don't really like mangoes as a rule.  I don't like them in freshly sliced the way you might find on a fruit platter.  But in this sauce?  I am absolutely loving it!

I have been putting this mostly on chicken dishes.  It's really great as a wing sauce or a condiment for sandwich, which is exactly how I've been using it.  It gives you the perfect combination of heat and sweet.  However you choose to use it, you will love the interesting and delicious taste and coming up with different ways of using it in your recipes!










Mango Habanero Sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
2 1/2 cups finely cubed mango
2-3 habanero chiles, seeded and diced
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup hot sauce


In a saute pan over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.  Add mango and habaneros and cook and additional 3-5 minutes.  

Stir in honey, butter and hot sauce.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Remove from heat and let cool.  Pour sauce in a blender and puree until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment